30.10.2010

HP touchsmart notebook, Intel Centrino Wireless N-1000 and no wifi

I recently tried to use my wifi card the first time on Ubuntu 10.10. I noticed that I couldn't connect to any wifi network, no matter what mode the network was (a/b/g/n) or what encryption it used. I looked around and found Ubuntu Bug #630748 and the related Kernel bug #16691 which I thought had something to do with my issue.
I couldn't be more wrong.
It turned out I couldn't get a wifi connection, because bluetooth was disabled using that small GNOME Bluetooth indicator. While bluetooth was disabled, my wifi card was able to list networks and NetworkManager could try connecting to one, however, it never succeeded. dmesg spit out some messages like "direct probe to (access point MAC address) timed out" and after some time even "iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: Microcode SW error detected. Restarting 0x2000000.".
Thanks to Zander Hill's comment in my bug report #663298, I found out that by enabling bluetooth, I could connect to wifi networks again with no problems.

So if You ever run into connectivity problems, feel free to try out everything completely unrelated to Your wifi card just to be sure.

3 Kommentare:

  1. hey,
    i also own a TM2 1090-eg and found ur blog via google...
    got alot help out of it!! and want to thank u!

    it would be nice if u can describe how to manage an auto-rotating script via the accelerate-sensor... i found one post un this but only for windows 7
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-touchsmart-tm2-wacom/34370-automatic-display-rotation-protectsmart-accelerometer-9.html

    i hope u will still write in this blog for a long time!!!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Thanks for the feedback!
    I will look into this on the weekend. I just found out how to react to ACPI events, maybe there is something I can do with that.
    There will also be an article on how to automatically change the CPU frequency depending on wether the power supply is plugged in or not.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Success! I found a way to rotate the screen automatically. The guide is in my new post:
    http://linuxquirks.blogspot.com/2010/11/automatic-screen-rotation-on-hp.html

    AntwortenLöschen