28.08.2010

No ttys after update

I installed ubuntu on a brand new laptop. I got it to work. I downloaded updates. My ttys (Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6]) were gone. Wtf? Now guess why. No, it had nothing to do with the new video card driver I installed. It didn't have anything to do with kernel modules at all.
I found the solution in some forum. I'm glad I tested it, because from what the text said, the problem that guy had fixed was something else than what I had experienced.

  1. Update the configuration for Your initrd. Edit (create if it doesn't exist) the file /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash and insert (or change if the key already exists): FRAMEBUFFER=y. Quick'n'Dirty:
    Code:
    $ echo "FRAMEBUFFER=y" >> /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
  2. Rebuild your initrd with the new configuration:
    Code:
    $ update-initramfs -u
  3. Reboot.
  4. Look at the beautiful ttys in awe.

That's it! You're done!

UPDATE: It seems like You have to run update-initramfs every time You update Your kernel, since the initrd from the package is prebuilt without the FRAMEBUFFER=y option.
UPDATE 2: I sometimes lose my ttys even though I rebuild the initrd. No idea why.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen