09.12.2010

Update to tablet-mode

Update: I've released yet another version of the package. It fixes the same bug as described below again (but now it really works! ;) ). The problem was a variable substitution in the Tcl "switch" statement (and some other flaws that I somehow didn't notice before). Version 1.4.0 is available via my Launchpad PPA and can be downloaded by the usual means.


I've released a new version of my tablet-mode package (see my article on my PPA if You don't know what I'm talking about).
Yesterday I wanted to use my notebook as a tablet and noticed that the touch function was not turned off as it was supposed to be. It turned out that the IDs of my Wacom devices (finger, stylus, eraser) had changed and were no longer the ones I had in my /etc/tablet-mode/tablet-mode.conf. Today I checked again and they were back to normal. Now to not have You change the values in the configuration file every now and then (and then have You change them back again shortly after), I changed the behavior of the script so that it does no longer require numeric IDs in the configuration but rather requires string identifiers like "Wacom ISDv4 E3 Pen stylus". It then looks up the corresponding numeric IDs by itself every time it is run.
Another problem that I fixed was that the script didn't even use the values from the configuration file at all. Due to a wrong variable name, the finger device always had the same numeric ID, no matter what You had in Your config file. The result was that when the device had another ID than 11 on Your system, the touch function was not turned off when entering tablet mode and the touch device was not rotated when rotating Your screen.
So, if You have the package installed, just update to the latest version and if not, You can safely install it :)

2 Kommentare:

  1. Hi. I have a TM2-2101. Your script works great, but I've found that I needed to disable the touchpad, otherwise, I'd get strange mouse input, especially when in portait mode. I think you should add this feature to your script for the benefit of other users that can't do them themselves. I don't think you need help for that..
    As a side note, have you made any research into using the bezel button to trigger something?

    Great work,
    Nicolò

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Thanks for the suggestion! The feature is included in tablet-mode 1.5.0 and later (check out the post for more).
    Unfortunately, I don't think I can do anything about the button yet. It produces neither ACPI events nor keystrokes nor Xinput events. Unless there's some way to detect the button press, there's not much I can do (other than trying to get into driver programming, which is a little too much for the moment) :(

    AntwortenLöschen